Monday, June 9, 2008

Summer Reading

I use Summer as a time to enjoy the sun and read outside. I read the first Summer book this weekend: The Choice by Nicholas Sparks, which was fantastic! Now I have to admit, I LOVE his novels. I have read all of them. If you are not familiar with him, I am sure that you have at least heard of a few of his novels. Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, and The Notebook have all been made into movies. So, if you enjoyed any one of these movies...you will LOVE any one of this books (because the books are much better than the movies). When we went to see the Sex and the City movie last week, there was a preview of another one of his novels coming to the big screen: Nights in Rodanthe, which is starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane...can't wait!

I just purchased the second Summer book, The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares, who is the author of the series The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, which consists of 4 books. The first book was turned into a movie a few years ago, and now they are going to release The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 in August, which looks like it is going to be the combination of the last 3 books. Needless to say - I can't wait for this movie to be released either! If the series is any indication of The Last Summer (of You and Me), then it's going to be great. I think that I even got Becky hooked on the series last summer. I do have to admit one embarrassing tidbit...if I have sparked an interest to go out to purchase the Traveling Pants series, please be advised that you have to visit the "Teen Reading" section of the book store. This new novel is her first "adult" novel.

This is the habit that I have developed: read a book, and if I enjoy it, I buy any book by that particular author as soon as a new one is released. Obviously, this is the trend with Nicholas Sparks and Ann Brashares. The other one is Jodi Picoult. I have read many of her novels as well, my favorites being The Plain Truth, Salem Falls, and My Sister's Keeper.

Does anyone have certain authors that they love to read?

4 comments:

slowly growing old together said...

I LOVED the Sisterhood series. I read all four books last summer on the way to/from Taiwan. Just couldn't put them down. I'm excited about her new book. I highly recommend them. I cannot wait for the next movie to come out!

slowly growing old together said...

My little DC Public Library has the new Ann Brashare's book. I'm checking it out today. I need to finish my Yellow Fever book before starting this one, but I am so excited; a lot of incentive to finish what I've already started!! Thanks for the recommendation.

Carla said...

glad i could be of help!

isn't it crazy that even though we haven't been roommates for 8 years, we can still influence each other? i love it!

Anonymous said...

Car-

Jodi Picoult is one of my faves, and my sister and I always share her books when they come out! Happy summer reading!