So, for the past few summers (minus the summer that we got married), John and I have been going on vacation with his family and friends to Nags Head. The average attendance is about 40 people. We get a few houses and really have a ton of fun. Despite the fact that John and I truly love relaxing on the beach and spending time with his family, we decided that this year we wanted to try something a little more extravagant. My Mom has been hounding my Dad about a Mediterranean cruise for years. When I mentioned to her that John and I would be interested in going if they were serious, she lit up and my Dad was game. My sister, Marina, and her husband, Bill, decided to join in on the adventure. So, it is set. We are going this summer to Rome to board the Carnival Freedom (pictured above) and sail all over the Mediterranean.
The ports of call are as follows:
1. Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy - going to the Vatican
2. Naples, Italy - going to the Island of Capri and the Amalfi Coast
3. Dubrovnik, Croatia - kayaking and swimming in the Adriatic Sea
4. Venice, Italy - going on a Gondola ride and all over St. Mark's Square
5. Messina, Sicily, Italy - going to climb Mt. Etna
6. Barcelona, Spain - going on a tour of the city and tasting tapas
7. Cannes, France - going to tour a glass blowing factory
8. Livorno, Italy - going to Florence and Pisa
9. Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy - going to travel some more...
Once back in Rome, we are renting cars and driving to my parents' home towns. They are only about 30 minutes from each other (yet my parents met in Pittsburgh...talk about fate!). It's going to be a great trip, but the only bummer is that my other sister, Dani, and her family won't be joining us. She has her hands full with 3 girls under the age of 3. So, it would be a crazy trip for her. She hopes to get to Italy with my parents when the girls are older.
This is my ultimate excitement for now, so I am sure that there will be more posts about it due to my extreme anticipation.