Friday, April 17, 2009

All worked up for nothing!

I have obeyed the doctors' orders and did not go to work over the past 2 days, rested, hydrated, and put my feet up. I'll admit that I wasn't happy about it, but I did it.

Today's appointments were great. The nonstress test was perfect, as it was on Wednesday. My doctor cleared me to return to work on Monday (yeah!), and she answered all of our tedious questions. The main one was what do we do today if the ultrasound shows a lower AFI? Because the ultrasound wasn't scheduled until 2 hours after the doctor's appointment, I wanted to know the exact protocol. She informed us that if the level was lower than what it was on Wednesday then the ultrasound office was to page the doctor on-call, and more than likely we were going to be sent to Magee for a C-Section. I was all prepared for that - bag in the car, and I hadn't eaten since 10am just in case.

So then we went for the ultrasound. She did the weight estimation first - the Little One is exactly that right now - about 6 lbs, 5 ounces, which doesn't surprise me since all 3 of us were in the 6 pound range, as were Dani's 3 girls. I know that this is just an estimate, so I am not expecting exactly that weight.

Then she measured the AFI - 15.8! Seriously? Can we try the version now? I couldn't believe it. John was so jacked off because when the residents were doing the AFI measurement on Wednesday, the fellow had to continuously correct them on how they were using the probe and which buttons to push. So John is convinced that they didn't do it correctly on Wednesday. I calmed him down and just said that what is meant to be will be and obviously I am meant to have a C-Section, and I am fine with that now.

We have another appointment on Monday afternoon, and we will be scheduling the C-Section at that time. We were told last week that the soonest we can do it would be April 23rd (exactly 39 weeks). Like I stated earlier, we are going to shoot for April 24th so that John's birthday will be extra special!

The only cool thing about possibly have the baby today was that today is the twins' 2nd birthday. So my parents would have had 3 out of 4 grandchildren with the same birthday! How crazy would that have been?!?

3 comments:

nora said...

Hey Carla! I am sorry the version didn't work out - but again, the section will be fine! Like Becky said, the pain medications are your friend for the first week or so, and get lots of rest after you get home (the instinct for me was to be Super Mommy and that was dumb). You'll feel great after a couple weeks!

Let me know if I can be any help -hang in there!

Melany said...

I am so glad to hear that yesterday's appointment went well and you can go back to work. What a great Birthday present for John! We can't wait to meet your bundle of joy!!

Mel

WASPy Girl said...

I hope my baby is 6.5 lbs.!