Saturday, January 29, 2011

Making Room

With another bundle of joy on the way, we have been trying to figure out ways to make a little more room in our house for the baby stuff that we need to dig out again (i.e. pack-n-play, swing, bouncy seat, etc.).

First off - Luci's new room.

We are keeping the nursery as is. The bedding we got when we were pregnant with Luci is gender-neutral in a yellow room, so we have no desire to change it at all. Our other 2 spare rooms have been an office and a guest bedroom since we have been living here.

The guest bedroom was a fluke because all the furniture was given to us: queen-size mattress, box spring, bed frame, head board, dresser with mirror, and night stand. One of John's buddy's parents was getting all new bedroom furniture right after we got married and we inherited their old stuff - which was actually really nice. This is now going to be Luci's new room - however, I didn't think that a queen-sized bed was necessary for a toddler. Fortunately, a friend who I work with just bought a house and is in desperate need of spare beds - so we gave her the bed from that room. The rest of the furniture remains, and Luci's twin bed is being delivered on Tuesday!

Next step - find space for all.the.toys!

Our family room is narrow, but we were able to comfortably fit all the baby things in the room without feeling too cramped when we had Luci. However, we have accumulated so many toys since storing all of that stuff that we now know we need to make additional room.

We also have a living room, which is right off of the family room. The furniture in that room was also all given to us by a friend's parents. In there now are: a love seat, 2 wing-backed chairs, an end table, and a coffee table. We have offered some of the furniture to one of John's cousins who recently got a new place. So we are giving him the chairs and the coffee table. Now we will be able to fill the long wall of that room with all of the Luci's toys - thus clearing out our family room to make space for the baby stuff.

Phew!

It's funny how things change - when we first got married, we were in such a hurry to fill the rooms to make the house feel like our home. And now that we are growing - I can't wait to get rid of the furniture that was so generously given to us to make room for TOYS? What's wrong with the picture?

5 comments:

slowly growing old together said...

Take pictures!! I'd love to see how you are organizing and making room for everything. We're trying to come up with ideas to use our sunroom better... it currently is home to K's toybox, the double stroller (for nanny-share), and two shelves: one for shoes, keys, and our house phone; the other for bags and umbrellas. Definitely not the best use of space considering all the STUFF we have accumulated. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do. And what color are you painting Luci's room? K just moved into her big-girl bed and we're thinking colors. We're thinking either green and purple or green and bright yellow (school-bus-ish).

Carla said...

we had that room painted in a lime green ("daiquiri") when we bought the house because we didn't know which room would be the nursery. so the bedding we got is different shades of pink with lime accents. once the bed is here and i get it all together, i will post pictures.

Sarah said...

I know how you feel! I am on a mission to find a "place" for everything. I am also crazy pregnant. I was compulsively cleaning the baseboards in my bathroom this morning.

WASPY GIRL said...

Do you have a basement? I think most of S's toys are plastic eyesores, so I've boxed up 95% of them (the ones she's not interested in) and hauled them to the basement.

I've never purchased her a toy. EVER. I'm not sure how she acquired all this stuff.

Carla said...

i have inherited 80% of her toys from dani, and remaining 20% have been birthday and christmas gifts. we do have a basement, but she plays with so many of them that it would be difficult to pick which ones to take away.